Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 14:13:04 -0400
On 8/4/2013 4:28 PM, rfman45 wrote:

Texas Towers has a compression UHF connector for LMR 600, the CC600UM. I'd like
to know
if anyone has used this connector, its ease of use, etc.

I received some today. These appear to be the same or very much like the ones I've been using, available from Davis as well.

They are a very simple "clamp type" of connector with a solder type brass center pin that appears to be gold plated. The center pin is not captive so you need to measure and cut carefully. The clamp (similar to an "N-type) gives a good weather seal to the jacket, but they are still UHF with little resistance to water ingress at the threaded connection.

They are Nickle plated which stands up better in the weather here, but when properly weather proofed none of the connector is exposed anyway. Not my choice for above HF, but have worked well on HF.

As I use them (UHF) on 160 and 75 QRO where the SWR can get quite high I ream the center bulkhead out a bit with an end mill to increase the clearance. It probably does little, but I've shorted a number of N type. Whether due to lightening or power, I'm not sure.

At any rate it's nice to see some UHF connectors available for LMR-600. For a while only type N were available. The only fault I find with these is they do not handle sideways pressure well and tend to have the threaded collar break off. IOW Make sure to come straight off the connector, or at least have no side pressure.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

                                                         Mike  W2LO