Re: [TowerTalk] Never Free Climb

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Never Free Climb
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8ri-on-TowerTalk@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 08:39:37 -0400
Back in the old days, there was a lot of free climbing and I'm sure the stastics shoe it. Not just tower work, but bridges and buildings.
Looking at photos of that construction sends chills up and down my spine

Well over 50 years ago I worked along with my dad as part time linemen on a country telephone line. The old kind with the two plated, steel wires on the green glass insulators. No training, climbing poles although they were only about 25 feet high and old. they were like a cactus with all the thorns pointing up If your climbers slipped and you "hugged a pole" you spent a very painful time pulling splinters as they "stapled your clothes to you.

I climbed my own 40 ft tower free, but it dawned on me that a safety belt would be a good idea that would be safer and make work up there a lot easier. No one knew what a full body harness and fall arrest gear was in those days.

Some years later I read about the new safety gear. Being older and hopefully a bit smarter I ordered a harness and fall arrest gear. I've since gone through two harnesses and fall arrest with their certification expiring. I've never climbed free since those early days and I'd never purchase used climbing gear. If it's still in certification, you don't know what it's been through.

Where I worked as an instrument tech, we each had our own gear( if you climbed you had gear) which was replaced "every year" Certification was much longer than that, but we worked in chlorides and that nylon gear suffered greatly because of that. They looked fine, but at the end of a year the gear had lost considerable strength and was replaced with the old gear being destroyed.

I enjoyed climbing, but health issues have ended my climbing, flying, and touch typing ... or most things requiring two hands although the left hand is slowly coming back. They still let me renew my drivers license with a doctor's slip. I miss the climbing and flying, but after the second stroke I made the decision not to renew my medical. I actually was able to renew it after the first one after a two year wait. They tell me they now know what caused it and I shouldn't have to worry about another, but I'll pass.