Re: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:04:05 -0500
I was commenting on 5/8 ground rods. Hard ground and a sledge will bend a 5/8 or 3/4 way too much to continue driving long before it is half in the ground, hence the utility of placing a piece of water or black iron pipe over the ground rod to eliminate bending. My HF demo hammer will drive a 5/8 without bending it in ground hard enough to require a pipe over it using a sledge. In ground this hard the demo hammer takes a while but it is less intense work than with a sledge and it will get it done.

To avoid the $80+ solution for a ground rod driving bit I bought a cheap demo hammer chisel and cut it in half. I hammered the half chisel into a piece of EMT conduit a little ways and welded it on. I cut a grove in the unused half and it works as a short chisel bit. Two for the price of one. I'm sure if the half chisel were driven into the piece of conduit farther it would work without welding.

Brazing is a good way to attach copper foil strips to ground rods. There are rods with high silver content made expressly for that. MAPP gas in a hand held torch (like a propane torch) is plenty hot enough.

Patrick AF5CK

-----Original Message----- From: Gary K9GS