Re: [TowerTalk] Change in SWR

To: dscribner@myfairpoint.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Change in SWR
From: jcjacobsen@q.com
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 22:28:05 -0500 (EST)
Doug is having a problem with increasing SWR on a multiband yagi. A couple of
"snip its" follow:

<snip>
> When I posted my question earlier I did not want this to become a debate as
> to the pros and cons of my Mosley. In fact I considered not mentioning it
> my
> name except that I wanted everyone to have all the facts.
>
> I am well aware of the writings concerning this and other yagis on the
> market. And I know that this antenna is being asked to do a lot considering
> its size. And I recognize that it is just about 1/2 wavelength high thus
> contributing to what effect its surrondings have.

This next part is WELL SAID DOUG!!!!! (see my post below)

> This antenna perfectly fit my requirements when I put it up and continues
> perform exceptionally well, even with its "minor" 40 Meter issue. The
> increase in my country count over the last 6 weeks has been amazing...on
> all
> the bands covered.
<End snip>

#1. Yep, well said Doug.

#2. I seem to remember an "old timer" telling me a LOOOOOoooooog time ago that
everyone seems to forget a couple of things about antennas:

A: ALL antennas, in one way or another, are a compromise.
B: The BEST antenna is the one you are using now. The one that gets you on the
air.
C: P.T. Barnum had/has relatives in the antenna business.

He also stated that you can do ALL the testing you want, spend all the money
you have, or want to, on antennas........ the above always holds true.

It's what works for you. At that time and place. That's all that matters.

Later
73 es GDDX
K9WN Jake