Re: [TowerTalk] Change in SWR

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Change in SWR
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 14:57:33 +0000
Doug,
I'd like to suggest something to try.  I haven't actually done this but it
might bring results, and won't cost you a dime, or even get your feet or
fingers cold, no matter how cold it is at your QTH.

Your low dipole, MAY be coupling to the yagi, that's the concern, right?  And
if so, if you detune it, the amount of interference would change.  So my idea
is to NOT go out to the antenna feedpoint and do anything but rather to put
variable impedance across the feedpoint of the low dipole in the shack.  Use an
antenna tuner, and tune it through every impedance you can, all the way from a
short to an open and everything in between.  These impedances will be
transformed to some other impedance at the feedpoint of course.  The objective
is just to see if ANY impedance will cause any change in SWR.  If you see any
effect whatsoever you know there is some amount of coupling and you can take it
from there.  But right now I believe your concern is whether the new dipole is
involved in the SWR changes, and this technique should answer that question for
you.

Rick  K2XT