[TowerTalk] Welding Rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Welding Rebar
From: Ed K0KL <edk0kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 15:01:58 -0600
I can't stand it any longer ...

Wire ties are fine to keep the rebar touching from bar to band (the smaller rod surrounding the verticals or horizontals as it were). It has been used for years on buildings, roadways, etc. Generally speaking the concrete holds the connection together, the connection and rod make the concrete
strong ...

The only place where I am aware of welding rebar is to butt splice, with a sleeve around the connection
and cad weld the connection. Used on cooling towers.

For ordinary work tie wire (#16) in 3# rolls works fine. I have used it doubled to pull a connection taut, but unless using big stuff #10 rod or so, use 16 gauge, 14 on the big stuff. End cutting nippers or
plain old lineman pliers do the trick.

Cad welding may work for grounds but are completely a waste on a small tower foundation. Heck
even the big TV towers I haven't seen cad welding for such connections.

4000# concrete is fine in this application with a vibrator.

I should mention, part of my mis-spent youth I hung iron (rod buster) for several years.

73!

ed K0KL

---
is active.