Re: [TowerTalk] Welding Rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Welding Rebar
From: Edwin Karl <edk0kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 00:50:59 -0600
That's fine, but welding is only to hold in place. Like tie wire it contributes little to the actual cage strength. When confronted with large beams, or columns we would use the wire as "guys" interior connections to keep in place. Then a bunch (technical term for more than 2) would pick the puppy
up and drop into place in the form.
Like 15 foot columns with as much as 8- 1 1/4 rods. The bands were mostly #3 or #4. Sometimes the crane would pick the newly assembled unit up from the ground and lift to the deck. You would be surprised how sturdy the assembly was. For fabrication, tying the rods (bars) together was quick
and secure. Never saw one come apart.
I have a 100 foot AN Wireless free standing tower. The base is 22 yards of concrete 12 feet deep. I guess we got a little carried away. Anyway, the cage was assembled in the hole, has 3 layers of mats and 4 vertical bars on each face. No problem dumping the concrete into the hole, nary a tie opened
up.