Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Welding Rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Welding Rebar
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 03:26:43 -0500
On 1/6/2014 12:58 AM, Hans Hammarquist wrote:
I believe K2TTT put one tower up using nothing as a base, just the tower
standing on a small plate, resting directly on ground. Yes, it is (was) guyed.
Over the years (since 61) I've had 7 towers up using dirt bases. They were only 40-50' with one 60 footer, and one 90 footer, all guyed. I had a 5L 20M KLM, 6L 15M KLM,(42' booms) and a 7L Wilson 10M Yagi on a 39' boom. One was 90' with a Cushcraft ATB34 It's a rather rugged dirt base and in solid soil, I'd not hesitate to go 90 feet with 25G, but avoid those towers that only have the horizontal bracing. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Dirt_Base.htm I'd consult an engineer for higher or different soil. I over guyed the 90 footer which was a mistake. The extra weight and proper tension of the larger steel guys put an excessive vertical load on the tower causing the bottom 3 sections to bell out where they join, requiring a hydraulic jack to get them apart.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Dave, am I correct?

Hans - N2JFS