Re: [TowerTalk] Bolts for Orion OR2800 rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bolts for Orion OR2800 rotor
From: Tim Jellison <kl7wv@kl7wv.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:13:28 -0400
I wouldn't use SS. The beauty of the 2800 mast clamp is your ability to really crank down on the six bolts and thereby keep the mast from slipping. You would loose that with SS because of them being brittle and less strong.

I have had good luck with the "Ultra Corrosion-Resistant Coated" grade 8 hardware available from McMaster-Carr. I can't speak for salt water environments, but they hold up very well in Alaska and in the West Virginia area.

Tim Jellison W3YQ/KL7WV
KL7WV Tower Service
304 704 1196
kl7wv@kl7wv.com