Re: [TowerTalk] Bolts for Orion OR2800 rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bolts for Orion OR2800 rotor
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:07:05 -0400 (EDT)
>  There are many reports of the Orion clamp slipping so  I assume that you
have to bolt it very tight
which may break the stainless  steel hardware.

    There are 2 fatal problems with the factory Orion  clamp.

1)    The toothed clamp has uneven teeth and even when  they're worn down
(and they get worn down by the mast moving in the wind) and  you get all of
the teeth gripping, the total gripping area is like less than 1  square inch.

2)    The surface that the fasteners are seated on is  dimpled. The dimples
wear down too thus loosening the clamp.

    I've installed dozens of Orions over the years and  virtually 100% of
them have slipped eventually.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH