Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?

To: "D. Drake" <daleaa1qd@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:11:15 -0400
Believe it or not, we have rocks in Florida, too.

I use a 1/2" hammer drill, applied to the top of the rod with an old deep
socket. Unless I hit a boulder, it works very quickly, there's lots of
ground rod surface area in compressed contact with the earth and there's no
mud!

73,

Mickey

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM, D. Drake <daleaa1qd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here at my station in New DurHAM,  New HAMpshire
> on Middleton Rd (off of HAM Road) I have very
> rocky soil.  I tried the garden hose trick and
> found it was not a good method in this soil
> although it worked quite well in the clay soil at
> my old QTH in Dover, NH.
>
> I also use a fence post driver like W4WEG but I
> also lubricate the rod with liquid dish soap to
> reduce the friction and it makes driving a lot
> easier.  About 20% of the time I hit a big enough
> rock that I have to pull the rod out and start
> over.  The soap also makes it a bit easier to pull
> the rod out in those cases.  Driving the rod in at
> angle really does nothing to avoid the rocks.
>
> In the literature I have read on grounding it
> mentions using salt to increase ground
> conductivity but also says that it's a temporary
> effect and unless you keep "salting" it
> periodically there's little to gain by doing it
> once and just salting near the surface will have
> little effect for most of the length of the rod.
> I assume the time that the effect lasts depends on
> soil moisture content and how quickly that
> moisture moves through the ground around it
> dissipating the salt.
>
> Dale,  AA1QD
>

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 16:08:57 -0500
> From: "Bill Grimwood" <bill@grimwood.net>
> To: "'Patrick Greenlee'"
> <patrick_g@windstream.net>,
>         <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?
>
> I use a metal fence post driver to drive ground
> rods.  It works real well.
>

> Bill, W4WEG

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.