Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?
From: Mike Fahmie via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:10:41 -0700 (PDT)
It all depends on the conductivity of the concrete versus the local soil.

Ufer grounds excel in soils with poor conductivity (dry sand is an extreme
case), but it makes no sense to wrap your ground rod in a material that has
poorer conductivity than the soil surrounding it.  Concrete can be a much
better conductor than poor earth but worse than earth with good conductivity.

I chose the Ufer path because my 'soil' is dry hardpan that resisted ground rod
drivers and I felt that the large contact area of the concrete would makeup for
the soils poor conductivity.

-Mike-
WA6ZTY