Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?
From: EZ Rhino <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:58:06 -0600
Wait, wait...the issue is section clearance on a crank up tower, not the
dis-similar metal problem.

Also I would not want to drill a hole in a leg.  In the tower baseplate, yes,
but the leg, not so much.

Chris
KF7P

On Apr 25, 2014, at 15:39 , Patrick Greenlee wrote:

Someone asked for a method of attaching grounds to a steel tower when a SS hose
clamp is not too good due to shape of tower leg. I think maybe it was a
galvanized tower but don't recall for sure. Don't stainless steel and galvanize
play well together (why you try SS hose clamps in the first place.)  How about
drilling a hole in the leg and bolting on a piece of stainless steel using SS
fasteners.  Then a second hole in the SS piece can be used to attach the copper
which plays nice with the SS.

Alternatively with proper safety precautions (especially if galvanized tower
leg) you could weld a piece of SS to the steel tower leg and then connect the
copper ground to the SS piece. I find welding SS other steels pretty easy,
especially if using SS wire in a M IG or SS stick electrodes.

Any big negatives overlooked? I'm aware you could mess up welding the leg but I
believe properly done it would not be a problem.

Comments?

Patrick NJ5G