[TowerTalk] Cadweld vs other welds or brazing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs other welds or brazing
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 16:49:20 -0500
Given the price of Cadwelds and the high number needed for an extensive tower grounding project I am interested in more cost effective alternatives. I know some folks braze their copper strips and or wires to the copper clad ground rods. I'm curious if any one here has any knowledge of MIG welding copper to copper using copper wire as filler. If so, what shielding gas was used and how well did it work? At first glance it seems like a reasonable approach and likely to be much cheaper than Cadweld shots. tT could be an alternative means of making connections that can be safely buried with no need for frequent inspection.

Whatchathink??

Patrick NJ5G