[TowerTalk] Rotor control cable connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor control cable connectors
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 15:49:06 -0500

I was looking for connectors to add to older HY-Gain rotors using 8 wires. My new production unit came with connectors but the older units use an 8 position terminal strip that is not so wonderfully weather proofed. So you get your unit refurbed or it is still working fine but still has the old terminal strip... not satisfactory...

So I'm searching Mouser, Digi Key etc and then... and then... the little over my head light came on, dimly but noticeably illuminated. Flat 4 pin trailer connectors for hooking up the lights on a trailer to be towed. Need 8 pins. Connector has 4 pins. One side is 3 males and a female and the mating connector is 3 female pins and a male. Take one of each male and female and using the supplied pigtails put on ring terminals and install the pair of flat connectors to the terminal strip. Flood the terminal strip with Silicon rubber (RTV) or your favorite weather proofer and put on the cover. Another pair of connectors terminates your cable run at the rotator end.

This gives you polarized connector action. You can't plug the cable run from the controller into the wrong connectors at the rotator. The trailer type flat 4 pin connectors are made to be exposed to the elements in their normal application. I like belt and suspender type weather proofing so... Wrap the connectors with tape or coax seal or whatever you prefer to boost the weather resistance if you are worried that these inexpensive connectors could do a good job. Electrical tape and a little RTV does a marvelous job and is easy enough to remove if the need arises.

I kinow, I know, no material certs, no mil-spec, NIH, too inexpensive to be good etc etc...

73,

Patrick NJ5G