Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaning Tarnished Wire

To: Edwin Karl <edk0kl@centurytel.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaning Tarnished Wire
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 16:09:55 -0700
Another idea from folklore is Coca Cola, soak overnight?

Rick N6RK

On 8/2/2014 3:42 PM, Edwin Karl wrote:
Requires use of gloves, but I have used toilet bowl cleaner (caustic) for
this purpose, works real swell ...!

ed K0KL

On 8/2/2014 8:31 AM, Gedas wrote:
As much as I hate to admit it, at times I have been guilty of leaving
rotor cables or even coax outside unprotected from the rain and snow.
Later on, wanting to put it to some use and after stripping off some
insulation, I find that the surface of the copper conductors have been
tarnished with a nice black coating.  The tarnish makes it impossible
to solder to even with an acid core flux.  Other than physical
abrasion, does anyone have any tricks or solution/chemical that will
remove that tarnish?

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....