[TowerTalk] Building a W6NL Moxon 40 Meter Beam.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Building a W6NL Moxon 40 Meter Beam.
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 19:22:00 -0700
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 11:36:04 -0400
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a W6NL Moxon 40 Meter Beam.

Force 12, for many years, used ordinary gray PVC tubing, split
lengthwise, to insulate its elements from the boom and any metallic
mounting hardware.  The element mounts are aluminum sheet hat sections,
pop-riveted to the boom and u-bolted to the element/pvc sandwich.

73, Pete N4ZR

## That grey coloured  pvc tubing works superb..and is UV resistant.  You can
find it
in the electrical dept at any home depot etc.   Its not a foam core either.  I
found that my F12
U bolts have all  rusted.  Replaced with DX eng SS types  with the solid AL
saddles.  Drives me nuts
not using proper saddles.  F12 never used saddles.

##  On my F12  340N,  I replaced the flat AL plates that in turn bolt to the
riveted boom brackets..
with 4 inch wide channel AL.   Then used TWO  dx eng ss u bolts at each end of
the channel.   For
whatever reason, my flat plates had all bent slightly.  A pair of new  grey pvc
insulators installed.   f12
uses 1.875 inch OD tubing the middle of the 40m eles..and of course the grey
pvc tubing is a lot bigger than
that, hence the 4 inch channel al.   The pvc tube is simply slit length length
wise in a bandsaw.

Jim  VE7RF