[TowerTalk] Push Up Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Push Up Towers
From: Marko L Myllymaki <marko.l.myllymaki@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:40:57 -0700
Yep.  There are 2 things that help.:  Good cleaning and lube between tube
sections when not in use/stored, so that everything will move as smoothly as
it is possible when needed next time.  Of course then you have a problem of
grease getting everywhere and then issue is getting it off so that your grip
holds.  Somehow I've been able to handle it during last 4 years in ZD8 with
little supplies available.  Also, when pushing it up, it is important to get
yourself to right height relative to where you are pushing, so need to have
whatever firm is on hand to put under yourself/stand on.  Often I'm giving
up couple feet on last section that is being pushed up and call it a day.
Never really had issue with sections before that, it is the last one that is
too heavy.

Yes it would be great to have some lifting system for it, that is also
lightweight and simple.  Maybe we can talk off line about it.

73 Marko

**************************

Boy you're not kidding about the muscles part!  My buddy has the aluminum
spidermast, and although it is well made, it is beyond difficult to push up
with even the lightweight spiderbeam on top.  If you have any kind of wind
it adds  downforce on the mast in addition to the existing weight and
friction between telescoping sections.  My buddy came up with a jack system
to push the sections up mechanically, which helped a great deal, but added
complexity and extra steps to the process.

Chris

KF7P

> Begin forwarded message:

> From: Marko L Myllymaki <
at gmail.com>

> Date: August 28, 2014 12:01:58 am MDT

contesting.com

> Subject: [TowerTalk] Push Up Towers

> I have had very good experiences with Spiderbeam masts.  I have two such
33

> ft Spiderbeam heavy duty masts in ZD8 at our annual field day QTH in

> Oct-Nov each holding A3S yagi.  I have also had one such exact setup on my

> backyard for a year now.  You can have small rotor like smallest Yaesu 450

> or 800 at the bottom turning entire mast.  Good workout to push it up but

> once it is up it will stay if guyed right with good Dacron.  I use

> Spiderbeam tripods (actually quadpod) to build and support entire system

> while working on it (rotor, mast, antenna) and then get 4 helpers to do

> push up (one for each guy and 2 at the base one with good muscles).
Taking