Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor Bolt Material

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor Bolt Material
From: Martin A Flynn <maflynn@theflynn.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 07:03:49 -0400
Marv,
I reached out to our PE and explained your situation. His reply was to suggest that you retain the services of a local PE (stating the obvious and CYA)

He did mention that he was involved in a monopole project that was in the same situation you are in. (they could not replace the foundation or the pole due to zoning issues, but had to upgrade the anchor bolts for wind speed ratings.

They had inserts machined internally threaded to accept the anchor bolts, with grooves cut in the exterior to increase the surface area for the epoxy. The gap between the insert and the hole was thus reduced to less then .125 for the widest part of the insert.

Visually, he said they looked like a section of swimming pool or vacuum cleaner hose.

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ