[TowerTalk] Using old concrete in new pour

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using old concrete in new pour
From: David Gallatin via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 16:53:26 -0700
Hello everyone,
A ham friend today suggested using concrete from an old pad that's broken into
small (maybe fist size or a bit smaller) pieces and using it in
a new pour, specifically for my new 30 foot aluminum tower. He said you make
the new mix "a little soupy" and toss the old chunks in as you go, the idea
being less new concrete is used (and paid for) and when it dries you can't tell
a difference "concrete being concrete". He did not specify what kind of ratio
of old to new is used but he does have two pads of his own he has done this
with that hold 60' steel self supporting towers.
I have tried to research this and come up with nothing. I did find reference to
concrete being recycled (crushed) into aggregate size and used as such in new
pours but what he is talking about does not seem to be the same thing.

 Obviously I am a tad concerned about doing this. Has anyone heard of this
technique before?

73,
David, AA9G

ex W5DCG and KC9EEV