Re: [TowerTalk] Connectorizing rotator cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connectorizing rotator cables
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 18:56:40 -0500
On 11/6/2014 10:46 AM, Kelly Taylor wrote:

I've repaired a number of the Ham series rotators. Nearly all had bad terminal strips. Some had been stored outside when not in use and some had the weight of the rotator cable suspended from the terminal strip. I put a half knot in the cable and tape it to the tower so the poor little terminal strip only has to pass electrons. I have used the standard connector kit sold by hy-gain for the Tail Twister.

HOWEVER when replacing that terminal strip you have to go all the way back to the ends of the runs where they are connected. The manuals I have show where each wire comes out to the terminal strip. That's helpful but, they do not always use the same color wire from terminal strip connection. At least I've never found one with the wrong connection, just different color wires.

Make a copy of the schematic that shows the connections and terminal strip. On the copy, write the colors down! extend the lines on the schematic a bit and enter the new connector pin numbers. (they are embossed in the plastic.) It makes thins simpler for those who come later to use the same pin numbers, although I do like the color code. It's what I use when connecting the rotator cable to the terminal strip while remembering to keep the two larger wires separate.

With the kit, just make sure the ends of the wires are parallel. solder the pins on the cable.(get them on the proper ends) Once the male and female connectors are soldered in place, use your schematic and carefully insert the pins in the proper hole. They are extremely difficult to remove so get it right the first time. ( NOTE the brass sleeve - ink cartridge on most pens is just the right size to use for a pin removal tool) Hy-gain did not conveniently follow the color code. but your schematic does have all the colors and pin numbers listed so you know what comes out the other end.

The connectors (in all the kits I've used) were gold plated (don't corrode), BUT the spring clips that hold them in place will rust. they are thin so it wouldn't take long. I thoroughly flood the connector inside with silicone grease. (after the pins are inserted and checked) DC-4 and 5 compounds work just fine. Get the silicone grease at the auto store. Computer and electronics stores usually charge an arm and a leg for a tiny packet. I used to purchase a 10 oz tube for a buck.

I do not like the usual trailer hitch connector replacement, but the mid size Winchester connectors used by the military work great. Even better than the Hy-gain connectors. They come in a variety of sizes and are CHEAP as long as you purchase surplus or at a swap.

73

Roger (K8RI)

I will admit I was suckered into the idea of using a connector on my Ham-x
style rotator.

I've changed the rotator, let's see, want to make sure I don't lose count
here, ummmmmm, ZERO times in almost 10 years.

Next time, no connectors. Nothing is as impervious as an unbroken run of
cable. I'm also not convinced that undoing eight lugs on a terminal strip is
any harder than undoing the weatherproofing on the connector!

73, kelly
ve4xt