Re: [TowerTalk] Too Old To Climb Towers

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Too Old To Climb Towers
From: "Don " <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 16:18:24 -0800
Amen! Only 78 and been at it only 60 years, but I have no desire to do any climbing anymore either.

I have one of the Wing double slide ladders, all but a permanent attachment to the HG-70HD crankup. BUT, have a friend down the coast who has a very nice bucket lift on his work van (cable contractor) that is often available for short periods in the spring through fall. SO MUCH EASIER THAN THE LADDER. Bucket has a nice tool tray too. Little small for a chair though!! Wish it were mine (pic attached). sked the wife if I could buy one and her response is not printable.

A couple of years after this pic was taken I installed a layover fixture and that is the position the tower is in now as I do some antenna cleanup and balun and coax replacement. Was tough to get out in December and work, 14.3 inches of rain spread over the month. My layover system has a dual pulley at the fixture and the tower so raising and lowering is really easy. BUT, one still needs a ladder (I use a shorter one) to work on the antennas of course because the boom length of the TH7DX doesn't allow complete lowering. Also have a steel brace system to lay the tower on, allowing relief for the pulley cable and assuring it doesn't drop more than I want.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Chuck Smallhouse