Re: [TowerTalk] How to solder aluminum braid coax cable ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to solder aluminum braid coax cable ?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 21:10:37 -0500
On 1/16/2015 4:50 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Fri,1/16/2015 12:21 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
I would suggest not soldering it. Crimp it instead.

Likewise, for me the compression fitting is the only way to go. I used to purchase the F connectors in jars. Single and double shield take different connectors. The tool is relatively inexpensive as well. The ones I had made a good weather tight seal although you might have to weatherproof the connector. I'm only familiar with the F connectors they made, but I think I've seen the BNCs that Jim is talking about. After a couple connectors you wonder why you ever soldered them. <:-)) They are a bit more expensive than the plain connectors the cable guys used to use, and no more of those awful crimps we used to see.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Snap N Seal makes good quality BNC compression connectors for various incarnations of 75 ohm Al foil/braid shielded cables. Size matters -- be sure to buy the right connectors to match the cable. You'll also need a cable stripper and compression tool that fit the cable.

73, Jim K9YC

Roger (K8RI)

---