Re: [TowerTalk] Tower installtion question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower installtion question
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 21:14:43 -0500

## Do they want your living room windows to survive a 139 mph wind
too ??

I understand that even with the regs insurance is difficult to get and very expensive if you find some.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

Yes. 140 MPH is "Miami-Dade" specifications for windows, doors, etc.
and is incorporated in the building codes of most of Florida these
days.  Seminole Country, FL is no different.  The insurance industry
has pushed that on a growing part of Florida following hurricane Andrew
and every other major hurricane for the last 30 years.

Unfortunately, building regulations have stupidity built in ... like
tile roofs that act like an fission reaction (when one tile breaks it
creates shrapnel that breaks five or six more tiles resulting in the
loss of tiles in an entire neighborhood <G>).  Applying the same 139
MPH standards to a 50 foot tower surrounded by trees and tow story
homes as applied to 1500' commercial towers is a bit absurd but that's
the rule statewide.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV