[TowerTalk] Tower installtion question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower installtion question
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:23:01 -0800
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 07:50:54 -0500
From: bcarling@cfl.rr.com
To: towertalk@contesting.com

Greetings,

My local city Building Department wants me to prove that my proposed (24 foot)
tower
installation with a 3 element beam for 17m & 12m can withstand 139 mph winds
before they
will issue a permit.

Does this sound even remotely reasonable and compliant with PRB-1 ?

Thanks for your views - Brian Carling AF4K

##  Do they want your living room windows to survive a 139 mph wind too ??
Every tree in the neighbourhood would come crashing down, and u would have zero
shingles left on your roof.   Your fence would be half a mile down the street,
and your
car would be flipped over in the driveway.  Your roof would be ripped right
off.

##  What happens when trees  topple your 24 foot tall tower ?   Do they also
want the
3 el yagi to be able to survive 139 mph wind too..or just the tower + mast ?

##  I can see where they could then make a case for the yagis  to handle 139
mph.
If the 150-200 lb yagi came crashing down..onto philystran guy wires, it would
slice em
in half.... bringing the tower down.   In effect, they are doing an end run...
effectively
banning all ham towers.   Once they have effectively gotten rid of new ham
installations,
word will spread to other towns nearby..as Mayors like to brag about this
stuff.  The other’s
will follow suit.   “want to get rid of ham towers...just impose a MIN 139 mph
rating on their
tower, ants, mast,coax, guy wires, rotors, and anything else you can think of. “
Bye-bye ham radio.

Jim   VE7RF