Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 20:20:34 -0800
On Tue,2/3/2015 8:05 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
TUV is another..

TUV is European, Germany, I think. I don't know if there's reciprocity to North America.

Roughly 30 years ago, my partner and I participated in an effort within the community of sound system design consultants to get reciprocity between CSA (Canadian) and UL (US) testing labs, as well as the recognition of others like NRTL. It was a struggle, but we won.

That was a big deal, because in those days, UL test labs could get VERY expensive, thanks, in part, to some overzealous test engineers who seemed to think that small manufacturers were made of money. The guys at CSA were a lot more reasonable, so once reciprocity was granted, UL lost of a lot of business.

Before we started, the situation was so bad that although NEC required anything connected to the power line to UL Listed, almost no professional products carried listing. Think JBL, Altec, Sony, Panasonic, ElectroVoice, and a lot of smaller pro companies you've never heard of. After 5 years or so, nearly everything we needed to build systems WAS listed.

73, Jim K9YC