Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:37:51 -0800
On Tue,2/17/2015 1:30 PM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
I can tell you one reason to spec RG213 over LMR400 to feed your Mosley
tribander, or any other tribander for that matter.

There are some misconceptions here that are the result of advertising. Loss below about 500 MHz is entirely due to the resistance of the conductors at the frequency of interest. The dielectric does not contribute to loss below that frequency unless it's wet, and if it's been wet, the braid is probably degraded, increasing copper loss. :)

If you really want low loss, use hard line. I'm feeding my SteppIR with 350 ft of 7/8-in. :)

73, Jim K9YC