Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 07:14:56 -0600
Tom, There are ways to erect a tower besides one guy walking it up. With a gin pole, some ropes, etc and and having watched the You Tube videos on the falling derrick method one guy can erect a 40 foot tower slowly and carefully under full control with a reasonable load on top to include a mast, rotator, antenna, coax, control cable etc.

Check with experienced folks when you know the specific tower you want to raise to see that your raising project is provident and not outside the envelope of safe and sane practices.

I have a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower which is a multi-band vertical comprised of a 24 ft triangular tower base section of galvanized steel lattice tower topped by a series of smaller and smaller telescoping aluminum tubes to an overall height of about 53 feet. Hy-Gain says one guy can walk it up. I'm 6'2" 220 lbs when I tried. With the help of a similar sized friend we struggled some but got it done. A subsequent down and up with three people wasn't much better due to not enough room for all of us to be in a good position. There are several stubs to be tuned so it needed to come down and up many times.

I designed and installed a rig (with a hand crank winch) that is easy to set up or take down and allows lowering and raising the tower with relative ease single handed. Similarly, using the falling derrick method you should be able to raise and lower a 40 ft tower with installed tower top "stuff" single handed if needed. A second person is always handy especially if they are well practiced with the falling derrick method or "rigging in general."

Study the falling derrick method. Practice on a shorter section of tower with no antenna, mast, or rotator to get used to what goes where and when. Get a second person if available, especially if they are "old hands" at this.

Give it a whorl. One guy can do a lot after you know how and take your time to be safe and follow the plan.

Give it a go!

Good luck to you on your successful tower installation.

Patrick   NJ5G