Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 08:16:43 -0700
On 3/8/2015 11:23 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
Easily,

I've walked a 40'  25G steel tower up by my self when in my mid 60'  and
at 5' 7", I weighed less than 165#.  The one arm/hand rests momentarily
while the other holds, then both hold, giving both a bit of a rest
holding half the weight each.  the part after the maximum weight gets
lighter rapidly.

However it works, the 40 footer was a relatively easy lift while it took
a "bunch" to do the 50 footer.

Roger  (K8RI)

That doesn't add up.  Rohn 25G weighs 40 lbs per section for
a total of 160 lbs.  Multiply by 1.7 and that's 272 lbs.  Since
you are shorter than the 6 feet I assumed, we need to add
another 10% bringing the total to 300 lbs.  Almost twice your
weight.  Maybe easy for you, but certainly not for most people.

Rick N6RK