Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?

To: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 21:45:14 -0700
On 3/8/2015 5:36 PM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:

If you don't put to much heavy stuff on the tower before you walk it up it
should be OK. Just for your comparison, I have an 85 feet aluminum tower and
the total weight of the tower, empty is 300 lb. It's tapered so the heavier
section are at the bottom. No, I didn't walk this tower up but I easily carried
around the top 40 feet during the assembly of the tower and could, probably
have raised the by myself as a 40 foot tower, had I done that.

Hans - N2JFS

I made some calculations and determined that the
force you have to apply to a 40 foot tower of
uniform cross section with nothing on top works
out to 1.7 times the weight of the tower.  And
you have to be able to apply this force using
one hand at a time while you "walk".  It all
depends on the weight of the tower and the
strength of the walker.  Can you hold an 85
pound barbell over head and pass it back and
forth between your hands?  Then you can walk
up a 40 foot tower weighing 50 pounds.

Rick N6RK