Re: [TowerTalk] Worm Gears

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Worm Gears
From: Howard Hoyt <hhoyt@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:47:33 -0400
The torque differential between driving the input and output of a worm gear drive (driving the worm, versus driving the worm gear) is largely dependent on the pitch angle. You could call driving the worm gear "back-driving" the worm gear drive, since worm gear drives are almost exclusively designed to be worm driven.

One could design two different worm gear drives with the same ratio yet different pitch angles, and the resulting drives would have greatly varied resistance to back-driving. In general the resistance to being back-driven is due to this pitch angle, which determines how much of the back-drive force is translated to axial thrust on the worm vs. rotation of the worm via inclined-plane slippage. As with a helical gear drive, at a 45° pitch angle, 50% of the worm gear torque is directly translated into worm rotation, the other 50% into worm axial thrust. It is this axial thrust component coupled with insufficient lubrication which can make a static worm gear drive difficult to back-drive.

As stated previously, if properly lubricated friction should not be a dominant factor. This means the viscosity must increase in an inverse proportional manner to the rotational velocity. Obviously this leads to the conclusion at zero velocity there is no lubricant viscosity high enough, which is why friction then often becomes a factor in back-driving a worm gear drive. Worm gear drives, as is the case with helical gear drives, are not specified for life expectancy in this lubrication regime.

A good tool for inter-relating these variables is the MITCalc:
http://www.mitcalc.com/en/pr_wormgear.htm

Cheers & 73,

Howie - WA4PSC