Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons

To: "<towertalk@contesting.com>" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Slobering Irons
From: Michael OBrien <k0myw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:15:38 -0700
I'm sure that some of the alternate brands of soldering irons that have been
mentioned are fine products. But to describe Weller products as "crap" is
contradictory to my experience.

When I was getting into ham radio as a kid back in the late 1950s, my "Elmer"
gave me a new Weller 100-watt gun as a gift when I passed my Novice exam. It
continues to serve me well almost 60 years later after thousands of hours of
use. I confess it has not always been treated kindly -- for instance, a chunk
of the plastic housing was broken off when the gun took a tumble off my
workbench onto the garage's concrete floor about 20 years ago. The built-in
light burned out about 10 years ago. Yet the old girl continued to heat
promptly and perform as designed, with only a few tip replacements required
over the decades.

I recently noticed that Weller sells replacement housings for this gun, as well
as replacement bulbs. For about $15 I now have a refurbished gun ready for
another 60 years of service -- in the hands of my grandson....

de k0myw