Re: [TowerTalk] Has anyone every put up a V-beam?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Has anyone every put up a V-beam?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:15:09 -0500
Aluminum coated steel wire is commonly used for electric fences. Although proper practice is to install it with low tension (as per vendor and MFG) that is not because of any failing in the wire's strength or resilience. It can take significant tension and last a good long time. One issue is the skin effect. Your lowest frequency of interest will penetrate into the wire to the greatest depth. You will get better performance if your skin depth does not exceed the thickness of the aluminum outer layer. I cant quote the formula for skin depth from memory but it is readily available.

There has been a lot of this aluminum coated steel wire used for antennas with good success.

Patrick        NJ5G