Re: [TowerTalk] Basic Question about Antenna Height and Treetops

To: "K1JOS" <k1jos@att.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Basic Question about Antenna Height and Treetops
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 19:45:40 -0500
I don't think you will see much impact on HF, but the foliage losses can become a factor as you up into VHF, UHF, and beyond. Also, at HF, you're rarely trying to pull signals out of the noise floor.

At my QTH my tower (around 70') was once out in the open, but all the trees have grown up around it and it is largely sheltered by trees within about 30-50'. On HF I don't notice much transmit/receive difference at all, but the tower and antennas are well hidden! In addition, the surrounding trees provide a wind break so the structure is not getting the high winds full-blast.

Solar-caused band conditions will have a lot more impact on your installation than the trees.

GL es 73

dan
k0dan

-----Original Message----- From: K1JOS