Re: [TowerTalk] what is 'circular tie' as is used in a towers concrete b

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what is 'circular tie' as is used in a towers concrete base?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:15:41 -0500
The rebar cage for my "shipping real soon now" tower came ahead of time as I requested. It is mostly 1 1/4 inch (#10) rebar but has some cross braces of 1/2 inch (#4.) I was offered my choice of two patterns, one to be used with a 5 ft diameter hole 8 ft deep and the other (the one I selected) is for a 4x4x8 ft hole. I got two bids on the 5 ft x 8 ft round hole and both were over $1000 so I went for the rectangular hole which has been quoted from $200 up and by one guy at $80/hr.

There is rebar made to be welded and then there is the common rebar readily available at all the big box stores. The common rebar can be welded but the results can be catastrophic when least expected.

I noted the 2 inch cover and that really caught my eye. Once upon a time a long time ago I was told to have a minimum cover of 2 inches but subsequent to that I think the recommended cover has been increased. The Rohn documentation may be vintage material not updated to modern thinking.

A quick Google and the first few hits had this to say: principal structural members in which the concrete is deposited directly against the ground, cover to the bottom reinforcement shall be 75 mm.

ACI 318-05 7.7.1:
Concrete cast against earth - 3" cover minimum,

*Minimum**Concrete**Cover*:*Concrete *cast against and permanently exposed to earth: 3"

So there you have it: I would go at least 3 inches. More cover doesn't violate Rohn specs it exceeds them which is OK.

Patrick        NJ5G