Re: [TowerTalk] LPFM STL

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LPFM STL
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:12:56 -0400
Jim/Gene:

Another list member sent me this useful path design utility for the AirMax
product but appears useful for other systems.

https://airlink.ubnt.com/#/

> "Are you thinking about polarization diversity? There's a fair number of
dual pol antennas available, although you could just bolt two of the cheap
grid antennas on, 90 degrees rotated from each other."

My main interest with two systems is help with "lightning damage diversity."
Ideally, I would like to keep one system up and running in the event the
alternate hardware fails up the tower.

You raise an interesting point though about using H-POL for one link and
perhaps V-POL for the other.  In a prior life, I designed a 23 GHz system
that way.  At 23 GHz, Fresnel ground clearance wasn't even a design factor.
Rain attenuation was.   During the FL summers, a 2.5 mile path was lost
nearly every afternoon.

Paul, W9AC