Re: [TowerTalk] Myantennas

To: Dan Maguire <djm2150@yahoo.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Myantennas
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 20:07:11 -0800

On 11/18/2015 6:05 PM, Dan Maguire via TowerTalk wrote:

I was particularly impressed with the "look inside" view of his 4:1 balun along with the VNWA insertion loss and SWR measurement results as shown on his OCF-8010E-3K page:

http://myantennas.com/wp/product/ocf-8010e-3k-windom/
Dan, AC6LA

I'm not so impressed.  The web site says that the
test is done by the "back to back" balun method.
This isn't a very thorough test because one of
the cores in each balun isn't really doing anything.
A pair of back to back un-un's would similarly pass
this test.  The test doesn't really establish that
the "balun" is a balun, only that it is an all pass
network when connected to another instance of itself.

A better design is to cascade a 50 ohm common mode choke
with a balanced 50 ohm to balanced 200 ohm transformer.

Rick N6RK