Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing mast

To: "Richard Zalewski" <dick.w7zr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing mast
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 09:08:31 -0800
###  These hb mast steps are easy to make.   Just a couple of  .375 inch holes
for the pair of armour plated  grade 8 bolts..and a couple of .25 inch holes,
for the 1/4 –20  SS  bolts on the extreme ends.   If your mast is say 3 inch od,
the steps will have to be  1 inch wider.   My mast is  4130 chromolly, not
4160, that was  a senior moment.   I used SS flatwashers on  both ends of the
4 x bolts, under the head..and under the nut.   Never seize applied to  all 4
bolts of course.   On a side note, if you buy never seize goop.... mine is made
by
loctite corp, for a few bucks more you can get their marine grade version.

##  I used their regular version.  I use it on everything, including lug nuts on
my mustang.   I use flat washers under the bolt heads.... that way if you are in
an awkward position,   you can tighten the bolt head...instead of the nut,  but
this only
works if you have a flat washer under the head.    I install flatwashers under
the heads of
everything tower and ant related.

##  On the SS  1/4-20 bolts... or any size  SS  bolt,  I always run the die up
and down the threads
to clean and straighten out  the bolt threads.    A tap is run through each
nylock SS  nut.... or plane
jane  SS nuts.   You only need one slightly dinged SS thread for SS bolts to
gall up on you...even if  never
seize is used... ESP  when  SS  nylocks are used.

Jim  VE7RF