Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing mast
From: Dave Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 16:05:51 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
 In the early 1980's I went thru several masts that bent on me so I bought a
Ladder Mast from WD9IIX (Now W9IIX).  He told me he was discontinuing them and
shipped me one of the last.  The mast is still up and working great.

I do have a crank up tilt over tower but trees have grown up so I would have to
cut down some trees to do so.  Plus it is not a simple task to tilt a tower
over.  I have a two story house and I have always done my work from the roof
top.  I have had someone climb to reach the 40 meter beam using the ladder
mast.  I pinned each section of the tower to avoid problems.  The last man was
Louis Lincoln and he just climbed up the tower itself rather than use my ladders
to get on the roof. Louis had a set of extra steps which he could pin on the
ladder mast and he did add one to work on the Cushcraft 40.

W9IIX might build a number of ladder masts if there was enough demand. He
welded the steps on and they are quite sound.

Dave K4JRB