Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Climbing mast

To: Mike Reublin NF4L <nf4l@comcast.net>, towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Climbing mast
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 09:24:41 -0800
I made them myself, using a 6"x 10"x 3/16" steel plate drilled top and bottom for two mast sized u-bolts, then 1/2 square steel bar bent into an almost closed squared off "C". The long straight part of the "C" is 18" long and welded to the bottom of the plate and the points to the top of the plate. Thus, it is impossible to slip off the ends of the steps and the 1/2 square bar has good grip on the boot. No worries about moss or slime on the step. With the u-bolts about 8" apart, the step has no wobble. The closed shape is a convenient tie point for fall protection since a carabiner can't slip off. Since the points of the "C" are returned to the plate and welded, it is just about impossible for a climber to bend the step.

Either a press or torch is used to bend the bar and after welding they got hot dip galvanized. Paul at custommetalworks.com told me this is his design and his climbers were happy with what I made when they climbed my 3" mast. I don't see them on his web page, but they may be available.

Grant KZ1W