Re: [TowerTalk] copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 12:39:08 -0800
On 1/9/16 10:52 AM, StellarCAT wrote:
good point... maybe make the spacing from the tower closer to 6 or even
8'. I don't know if you can overkill it as long as you take into account
the possibility of current saturation in the soil

what do you mean by current saturation? DO you mean that the water in the soil boils (called smoking or steaming rods in some of the literature)?

But, in general, soil is fairly linear.

As two rods are placed closer together, the fields from the two rods tend to combine, so the total resistance rises, ultimately becoming the same as one rod, when the two rods are right next to each other. There are standard equations for estimating the ground resistance from one or more rods in a variety of geometries, but a good rule of thumb is to space the rods by two rod lengths.

If you were driving your rods next to a big block of concrete, I'd make the first rod at least two rod lengths away: the concrete is a bigger, lower resistance electrode than a rod. Driving a rod closer might even increase the field in the soil in a localized place (I haven't run the math..)

The goal is to "spread the current out"

For lightning impulses, with 1 microsecond rise times, the inductance of the wire dominates over the resistance, as far as voltage rise goes. So running a wire over the top of the soil to a distant rod doesn't actually change the voltage distribution all that much. What it does do it make the current density different, which reduces soil heating.

- for the cost of 3
ground rods and some #3 or #4 wire I'd rather chance the overkill then not.

I just did a Google search and it appears the thicker coatings on the
copper (10 mils is standard) outlasts the 3.9mil coating on galvanized
~40 years to 10-15. So seems copper is the way to go (also they're
higher tensile strength - ~58K vs > 90K for the copper).

Gary

-----Original Message----- From: Kelly Taylor