Re: [TowerTalk] copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay
From: K6OK via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 14:11:34 -0800
jimlux wrote:

>> As long as the theory supports the performance at DC
>> and the performance at 1 MHz being related (and they are),
>> then one can be used as a proxy for the other.

I don't believe this is the case. High R/Lo Z is possible and so is Low
R/Hi Z.

>> The code requirements also addresses mechanical strength:
>> that's one of the reasons for the wire size requirements.
>> A ground in a conduit or protected can be smaller than
>> a ground that's exposed.

The subject and content of Section 10 of TIA-222-G, "Protective Grounding,"
is purely electrical. Mechanical strength isn't discussed nor is conduit. I
haven't seen anything indicating TIA beefed up the ground wire size from -F
to -G for mechanical reasons.

73 Jim K6OK