[TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:28:33 -0500
I’m a bit confused by the push to connect my tower to the house power coming in
– direct of course ... but nonetheless connected.

When I asked about ground rods from the tower legs it was stated, and I knew
this coming in, that the inductance of the line out to the ground rods from the
tower leg would dominate the response and usefulness of that ground rod... ok
... that makes sense... but there we’re talking about in most cases a strap –
wide, flat, with few bends – i.e. an attempt at reducing the inductance of that
connection... but going from the tower to the house – even for most where the
tower might be 75’+ away (my furthest will be 300’, closest 150’) – using a at
best #6 wire typically (I know – there are those that use bigger – I’m talking
about the ‘norm’) .... THAT inductance is going to tremendously influence the
response. The current through it during the “charging” phase – i.e. the stroke
will be rising relatively slowly ... but if the pulse is long enough and you
get enough current in that line when the pulse stops now the voltage instantly
reverses going high at the house end... if the connection isn’t very sturdy
(able to handle the current with low resistance/inductance) that voltage will
be quite high. The connection from the power company system to the house is –
again – maybe #1 aluminum cable... and it is often long as well... so IT isn’t
going to add any low impedance path either. The house thus becomes isolated!

I’d think the best way to do it would be to seriously ground the hell out of
the tower – connect the cables that have shields including the coax to the
tower at its base ... but DON’T connect the ground to the house! I’ve done this
in many installations and haven’t had any problems. I do however disconnect my
antenna coax anytime I’m not on ... I know I know – there are those that say “I
never disconnect and haven’t had problems” ... but to me it’s a simple
‘improvement’ to the protection level. And I’m not referring to very large
stations with 4 or more incoming coax lines – just the average with 1, possibly
2 or 3.

Also: regarding a previous posters “cone of protection” comment.... I’ve always
believed that if one has a good ground at the base of the tower and the tower
is a large conduction path – i.e. low resistance/inductance to the top – then
it will be more difficult to form an opposite charge at the top of the tower.
Other things like trees – especially tall ones which are not overly conductive
will more easily establish an opposite charge at their tops and thus form a
more attractive point of discharge for the lightning. I’ve had tall towers –
and as far as I know never had a direct hit to the tower. Any issues I’ve ever
had were power line induced – coupled energy from other close strikes.

sent previously:
There is considerable confusion here with respect to radial systems forantennas
and an earth connection for lightning protection. They are VERYdifferent, and
both are important. Properly bonded conductors buried in concrete ARE
acceptable as a ground for lightning protection -- it'scalled a Ufer ground,
after Herbert Ufer who developed the concept, andit's now recognized in the
National Electric Code. A Ufer ground worksbecause 1) concrete is conductive
and 2) there is a large surface areain contact with the earth. The downside is
that the earth it makescontact with is near the surface.Like ALL earth
electrodes, it must be bonded to all other grounds inyour home -- power system,
Telco, CATV, your shack, and all driven rods.I think Bob is on a pretty good
track with his design.For more ideas, see http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf73,
Jim K9YC