Re: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:42:05 -0800
On 1/13/16 6:28 AM, StellarCAT wrote:
I’m a bit confused by the push to connect my tower to the house power
coming in – direct of course ... but nonetheless connected.

When I asked about ground rods from the tower legs it was stated, and
I knew this coming in, that the inductance of the line out to the
ground rods from the tower leg would dominate the response and
usefulness of that ground rod... ok ... that makes sense... but there
we’re talking about in most cases a strap – wide, flat, with few
bends – i.e. an attempt at reducing the inductance of that
connection... but going from the tower to the house – even for most
where the tower might be 75’+ away (my furthest will be 300’, closest
150’) – using a at best #6 wire typically (I know – there are those
that use bigger – I’m talking about the ‘norm’) .... THAT inductance
is going to tremendously influence the response.

The inductance of strap and wire is about the same. Strap buys you lower AC resistance.

But what you want is the voltages going up and down together..
So you want your wires and your bonding conductor to be "similar" in length and routing.

I’d think the best way to do it would be to seriously ground the hell
out of the tower – connect the cables that have shields including the
coax to the tower at its base ... but DON’T connect the ground to the
house! I’ve done this in many installations and haven’t had any
problems. I do however disconnect my antenna coax anytime I’m not on
... I know I know – there are those that say “I never disconnect and
haven’t had problems” ... but to me it’s a simple ‘improvement’ to
the protection level. And I’m not referring to very large stations
with 4 or more incoming coax lines – just the average with 1,
possibly 2 or 3.

You can do this. It doesn't meet the electrical code which requires bonding of ground systems. The idea is to have your "bundle of wires" and your "bonding conductor" to be at similar potentials. It's potential differences that causes breakdowns and failures, not the voltage relative to some "distant point".

Think of the word "bonding" not "grounding" (that's the way the electrical code is heading, gradually).