Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 05:36:56 -0500
The lock nuts would be relatively recent AFAIK, I never saw any prior to around 98 to 2000.

My 45G purchased around 2000 ( probably made around 98) used lock nuts on all bolts. Even on the guy brackets, but they were made from a relatively thin, stamped steel. They were cup shaped about an 1/8th of an inch deep.IIRC they had 3 threads and as you tightened them it pulled the face down adding a locking feature. They worked quite well. That tower was a closeout for Michigan Radio. Everything came with the tower. Nuts, bolts, locking nuts, and guy brackets. Tower bolts were as usual, packed in bags in the tower legs. The other came in attached bags.

I do not like the dimpled nuts. I have some boxes of them for 8 and 10-32. Maybe some 1/4" I much prefer the stamped locking nuts. I believe he dimpled nuts are a poor match for galvanized bolts. Again, I believe they are pretty much a one-shot use.

73

Roger (K8RI)