Re: [TowerTalk] VOA tower demolition in HD

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VOA tower demolition in HD
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@pcnet.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 22:01:57 -0400
At 07:58 PM 4/6/2016, Kathy Bookmiller via TowerTalk wrote:
>Probably many of you have already seen this, but this is a HD version with
>more views of the tower demolition.
>I have one question. I've always heard that when a really tall tower comes
>down, it basically collapses onto itself and doesn't fall as one solid unit
>extending out the height of the tower. Watching this, I see many of the towers
>didn't collapse into one small area but went down as a full unit.

There was a NJ engineering firm study done 25-30 years ago on tower failures.
It was mostly about commercial towers more than 200' high.  They all fell
within 30% of their height.   I think they were mostly guyed towers.  You may
find that K1VR referenced it in his book on antenna zoning issues.   I assume
there must be something done more recently.

     -- Tom

e-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com    YCCC  --> http://www.yccc.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444