Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] VOA tower demolition in HD

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] VOA tower demolition in HD
From: Henk PA5KT <pa5kt@remijn.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 08:56:09 +0200
An example of a not controlled tower failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0CITiZY7E

The guy wires still keep everytihng close to the tower.

Henk PA5KT

Op 4/7/2016 om 4:09 AM schreef Grant Saviers:
It depends on the strength of the tower. A classic brick chimney almost always breaks into two or more parts. The reason is the top has to accelerate faster than the bottom for the chimney/tower to stay straight, i.e. for all parts contact the ground at the same time since the top has more distance to cover. Since gravity is a uniform acceleration force, the tower/chimney bends instead as the top lags behind. For brick chimneys there is little strength in tension and they come apart. For a steel tower and perhaps reinforced concrete chimneys, they may be strong enough to only bend or kink. I saw first hand the result of a 100' steel pipe flagpole failure at its base, and it did break before hitting the ground. I missed the actual fall by 5 minutes, which was mighty good luck. It bounced off the ground and meat cleavered two cars almost in half lengthwise.

A different kind of failure is a pancake collapse, which is what happened in the World Trade Center terrorist attack. If a middle or bottom floor support fails, the now kinetic energy of the structure above pancake collapses the entire structure more or less straight down. So if demolition charges take out say 20' of tower legs, the whole thing might pancake on itself, since the compression strength of the tower legs are exceeded by the momentum of the structure above.

Grant KZ1W