Re: [TowerTalk] 2 inch Chrome Moly mast needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 inch Chrome Moly mast needed
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 23:52:46 -0400
Are you sure the load justifies the need for Chrome Moly tube? Few loads do. If cost is no object, efficient use of funds should be. There alternatives with somewhat less strength, but still substantially strong. that will handle heavy loads as has been mentioned. I used 2" structural steel tube as well as 2" DOM. The ends have welded steel caps. I capped one end, dosed them inside thoroughly with LPS-2, displaced the air with CO2 + Argon and then welded the cap on the other end. The two, 24' lengths of DOM were then given two coats of 2-part, epoxy paint. They are coupled with a 3' length of 2.5" with a wall thickness that allows it to just slip over the 2" (I've forgotten the wall thickness). They could have been welded together, but two 24' pieces plus the splice are much easier to handle at a hundred feet.

73

Roger (K8RI)