Re: [TowerTalk] 2 inch Chrome Moly mast needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 inch Chrome Moly mast needed
From: Fred Sanborn <cc-6569@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 22:49:27 -0500
First of all many thanks to all who responded here on the reflector and also in private. Several options were offered.

Jim VE7RF has it right on for what happened here at this QTH. Besides being hit by lightning, I also had a wind gust that bent the mast at about 45 degrees. I hate to admit what I was using for mast at that time - 2 inch sch 80 pipe. I knew at the time it was probably not a good idea and learned the hard way. I have now paid many, many more times what it would have cost for a proper mast in order to clean up the mess by hiring a crane with a crew of 3 and pick the antennas off the tower. So maybe I want a slight over kill this time.

My antennas are XM-240 5.5 sq ft wind load at 11 feet and KT34XA 9.75 sq ft wind load at 0.5 ft above the tower. I may also add another antenna 4.5 sq ft wind load at 5.5 feet. I do not want to change mast diameter at this point. That would involve a lot more work - changing each antenna and 2 bearings. I think the Alfa Spid would handle the 3" though. Calculations using the DXE calculator and the 4130 2" mast show 100 mph survival. So far it seems that DXE 2" 4130 is a good cost effective and low effort solution.

   73,  Fred  KG9X