Re: [TowerTalk] 2 inch Chrome Moly mast needed

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 inch Chrome Moly mast needed
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 12:05:33 -0400
I called 2.875 an odd size only because my rotator and antenna saddle
clamps are designed for 3.000 inch tubing. I concur with the stiffness
comment.  Also a large tube has a larger circumference for the rotator and
antenna to grip.

John KK9A

On Fri, April 8, 2016 11:42 am, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
On 4/7/2016 6:39 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:

> Array Solutions plus did not want their odd 2 7/8 size.  At that time DX
>

> John KK9A

2 7/8 inch isn't an odd size, it is simply the OD of any pipe
of "2 1/2 inch" iron pipe size.  Could still be structural,
but might be water pipe.

After fooling around with irrigation pipe, it becomes very
clear that diameter trumps wall thickness and alloy.

Another advantage of a large diameter is that greatly
increased stiffness, something like 3 times stiffer for
3 inch vs 2 inch.

Also, probably less trouble with mast slippage too.

Rick N6RK